About Handbook of
This handbook contains comprehensive information on more than 5,500 trade names and generic chemicals and materials that are used in a broad range of formulations to prevent the contamination and decomposition of end products. Product degradation can be caused by exposure to oxygen, ozone, bacteria, molds, yeast, mildew, and fungi. The industries that depend on the proper selection of preserving chemicals and materials are diverse and include: plastics, elastomers, construction, paper/pulp, agriculture, textiles, paints and coatings, pharmaceutical, cosmetics, food, beverages.
This handbook contains comprehensive information on preservatives available from chemical manufacturers and
will expedite the material selection process for chemists, formulators and purchasing agents by providing the answers to these questions:
• Is the agent capable of inhibiting the detrimental effects of oxygen, ozone, or microbes to the extent necessary?
• Is the agent's overall physical and chemical attributes compatible with the product or system being protected?
• Can the agent remain stable under storage conditions and for the application requirements?
• Is its safety in production and handling acceptable?
• Does its level of toxicity meet environmental regulations?
• Does it meet cost requirements?
Trade name entries contain detailed information provided by the manufacturers and are cross referenced by chemical composition, application, CAS and EINECS numbers. Generic chemicals that either function as preservatives or are part of the trade name product's composition are also included with extensive monographs. Suppliers of the trade names and chemicals are listed with full contact information.